Historically Underrepresented Groups Scholarship (HUGS)
The Society for American Archaeology is pleased to announce the first cycle of applications and awards for the Historically Underrepresented Groups Scholarship (HUGS). The SAA HUGS provides funding for minority archaeology students to attend archaeological field schools and thus prepare for careers in archaeology and heritage management.
Few college financial aid packages cover summer lab or field training, making this an out-of-pocket expense. SAA is committed to assisting individuals realize their goals of entering careers in archaeology by offering two types of field school scholarships.
1. HUGS Award: up to $5000 to cover program costs and other expenses incurred through participation in archaeological field training. This scholarship cannot be applied to a field school run by the Institute for Field Research (IFR). See the HUGS-IFR Award below.
2. HUGS-IFR Award: This scholarship is provided by the Institute of Field Research (IFR) and SAA.
The IFR will cover the tuition up to $5000 for attending an IFR field school. Because SAA recognizes the challenges of additional costs associated with attending a field school (airfare, basic field supplies, etc.), it will provide up to $3000 for such expenses incurred to attending the IFR field school.
1. Members of historically underrepresented minorities in archaeology, including but not restricted to African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and other non-European minorities.*
2. Citizens or legal residents of the U.S. or Canada.
3. Enrolled in a regionally accredited university in the United States or Canada, or if outside the United States and Canada, a university with equivalent accreditation.
* Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders are encouraged to apply to the Native American Scholarships program for parallel funding opportunities.
The HUGS scholarship selection is overseen by SAA’s Minority Scholarships Committee.
Applications can be downloaded from the SAA HUGS Webpage.
Application Deadline: Complete applications, including letters of support, must be received by March 15, 2015.